Thursday, September 21, 2006

the woman i call mom...

have i ever mentioned that i love my mom? undoubtedly, my mom is one of the best people i know. if you ever want to know what it's like to have an uncanny ability to keep intouch with people, or take care of people, or just sit and listen to people...you should talk to judy. she will do anything for anybody at the drop of a hat...like help me practice german on the phone when she calls from oman...or plant a tree of plumerias in oman because she knows they're my favorite flower..she'll forget about herself so that others needs can be met...and she doesn't do it for anything in return...she does it because she actually wants to.
I think I could learn a lot from my mom. she's pretty good at the whole "second greatest commandment: love your neighbour" thing...which is something that I've been convicted on a lot lately.
she went in for her second mastectomy on tuesday. Her first was two years ago when she battled with breast cancer. that's another great part about my mom...she's a survivor. and I don't mean that in the over-used "I'm a cancer survivor" label sense...i mean that she is using her experience of dealing with cancer, for one, to really dive into her relationship with Jesus, and two, to help others...she isn't just getting by, forgetting that she ever dealt with it and accepting the fact that she got through. She is constantly making herself aware of how she might help others, including myself, become more aware...so that maybe one day others won't have go through what she had to. she survives the hardship of what she went through by helping bring joy to others in their trials.
and truly...i don't know about any other women out there...but i think that if I had that portion of my body cut off...I'd complain about life. no...i don't think i'd complain...i know i would. but i never once heard my mom even utter a care about the issue. Sure...she's older and maybe those parts aren't as great at that age...but if you're a woman...you're a woman. plain and simple.
i guess it just kinda hit me today how crazy amazing my mother actually is. and I know that I fail day in and day out to make her feel that way.
so, if you're reading this, mama...i love you. and i think you are really, really great.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Leens...
That was awesome! And such a good reminder to all of us of how special our moms are. I know that I need to be more vocal about the respect and love I have for my mom and so it was very encouraging to read your little tribute to good ol Judy--by the way...she is great! I know i have only met her a few brief times, but I must say I thought she was pretty great too!
Love ya Leens and hope you're doing well! Let's talk soon!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Hey buddy!
wow, thanks for that reminder. Im encouraged by you and your love for your mother. umm, k, we need to talk pretty soon. its been forever. i'm working on getting a phone card. love,
janell

10:05 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Hey you... :)
Just read your comment on Kendall & Sabrina's blog...very profound i must say! But the reason I am writing is, you said you'd see them in a week...are you going out to 'Toba for Thanksgiving weekend? Just curious! Hope things are going well!
Love you!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home