Sunday, October 01, 2006

some pink, some rain, and four pairs of running shoes...





so last thursday i randomly checked in my agenda and there was this add for the "CIBC Run for the Cure"...and I thought to myself....hm, Kathleen...maybe you should do that. So, I called up the rest of my family that is with me in this country, and said....hey kids, wanna run 5km in support of breast cancer?...and they said yes. So, this morning, I got up quite early and strapped on the running shoes, trudged over to the other Hamm household and we got in a car and drove down to Southcentre mall, where there were a lot of other people, and, much to our surprise (kidding), a lot of pink. The pictures came out in the wrong order...the first pic is actually when we were done the race...we were soaked. Yep, it was pouring...great running weather. But aside from that, it was such a great experience. I'd never done anything like it before and I was actually amazed at how many people came out...tons! and I mean toonnnnnssss. It was a pretty cool thing to support not only the general cause by running for breast cancer, but also to run more specifically for our mom, who battled with the disease only two years ago.
speaking of my mom...she's doing well....well, sort of well. after arriving back in muscat on tuesday last week, she seemed in good spirits, although she mentioned that she was a bit sore. Um, naturally, I said. But...I guess just how sore she was was a little unusual, because out of the blue on friday, she and my dad had to make a rush trip back to dubai. She had fluid build up and early signs of infection...which is really bad news because they pretty much have to start from square one if infection sets in. Thankfully, the doctor performed surgery early enough that she's ok...but my dad had to go back to work and so she is by herself in dubai...no complaints from her though. She phoned me to ask me how I'm doing...ha...well, mom...
anyways, just thought i'd give a little update. hope you like the pics...oh, incase you don't know my family....that's (from left to right in the top pic) -- jon (middle brother), me, carmen (sister in law), and Mark (oldest brother). good times....i guess i kinda like my family...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sabrina said...

Way to go Leens...as the hardcores ran down our street this morning (I woke up to the sound of many voices chattering on the street below) - I was impressed with their commitment to something so great.

And now you have a pretty hot shirt to show for it too eh? See you Saturday. Let me know where you want to meet.

Love ya..

Sabs

7:22 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

You just continue to amaze me! I am truly proud of you for doing something so great in support of not only your mom, but so many other women who battle with cancer! I just LOVE you Hamm's!!
And yes...we will definitely talk when you get back from Thanksgiving! Call me if you want and i'll call you back! Your schedule sounds more intense than mine so just let me know! Love you and miss you lots...and please say a BIG hello to Jono for me! I miss that dirty dawg too :)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Trev and Rebekah said...

Way to run in support of your mom. It's cool to see how much support that organization gets.
Hope you are doing well.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home