Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The end of a (relatively short) era...

I quit starbucks.

I know...part of me is sad...no more cheap drinks...and the ability to give free coffee to people (ahem...mark and carmen...and others...) will be gone...my calcium intake will severely decrease...and, most of all...i'll officially be an extremely poor student.

But...i know this was the right decision. A friend of mine laughed after i told him that I quit after a day into the semester...this semester is going to be crazy, though! I have five full science courses...well, 4 full science courses, and one language course...and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a wreck without the added stress of crazy customers who want their drinks a certain way and will talk to me like i don't speak english, and as if i'm deaf all at the same time.

Honestly though, I know this is a good decision for better reasons than those listed above. On sunday night at church, my pastor left us with the challenge of figuring out whether God was asking us to start, or stop, doing something that we're doing. Kind of broad...but I was automatically hit with the topic of how i spend my money. I've realized that, when i'm in a position of making money, I will freely spend it...and most of the time the recipient of the 'spendage' is none other than yours truly. Interestingly enough, it was after I decided that I was going to refrain from spending excess money on myself (ie. buying clothes...a rather massive hobby of mine) for the next however many months, that I made my decision to quit my job. Part of my hesitancy to quit arose in the fear that I wouldn't have any money to feed my materialistic habits...and then it hit me...I had just made a promise to Jesus to (try to) stop that.

Hmmm...funny how He works. Anyways, I've decided that this is, in a way, a step of faith for me...because not only was i challenged to refrain from spending money on myself, but I was also challenged to up my tithing. If there is one thing that I suck at horribly, it is tithing. So, here i am, now in a position of making no money...well, very little (i teach piano once a week)...and I'm challenged to tithe more. Needless to stay, this will be interesting...but at the same time, I'm excited to learn and to grow through this challenge.

So...my last day at the bux is next monday. Part of me feels bad for leaving...but I think i'll get over it, when I realize how much more time I will have for school, others, myself, and most importantly, Jesus...who ironically seems to be the first to go when i get busy and stressed.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sabrina said...

Hey Leens,

Excited to hear of the new development in life. Sounds like it's already been a beneficial decision. Enjoy your last days of free coffee!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Kathleen!!!
very nice post. I was encouraged by your thoughts, as per usual. Also, I am going back to sask. on the 16th. What weekend are you coming? I left a message on your phone. I hope this comment finds you well,
affectionately,
Janell D. W.

11:43 PM  
Blogger kathleen said...

Janell!!
I'm coming next weekend...the 19th - 21st. SWEEET....you're going to be there and it has been so long since we've seen eachother! I'm so excited!
Ok....well, i'll see you soon!
love you,
leens

9:03 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Good for you Leensie! And thanks for the challenge. I know you are challenging yourself, but at the same time, you have challenged me. And that is a good thing. Very good thing.
Love you!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Kathleen!
oh wow! i'm SUPER STOKED! it HAS been a crazy long time since i have seen your sweet face. if you guys need a place to stay let me know.. although i think betty already did... in a rather sketchy way! (refer to my blog/comments) see you then! lovingly,
Janell

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choices honey, but my joke won't be so funny now! (and I was looking forward to a free coffee!) I'm proud of you and love you so much. One more for the record: "Grande, low fat caramel macciato with 6 pumps of sugar-free vanilla!" Kisses and hugs (I'm missin those!) Mamma

4:49 AM  
Blogger Trev and Rebekah said...

I am proud of you kathleen. I think for most of us God is the first to get put off when we are busy. I hope that you will fulfill your desire to spend time with him with your extra time. All the best as you give Him your first fruits

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home